The position of a courtesy clerk (or a grocery bagger) is usually an entry-level one.
These professionals work in grocery or retail environments where their prime duty is to make sure that purchased items are appropriately bagged and are delivered to the customers’ cars carefully.
Their duties are not just limited to bagging and delivering, though; they are also entrusted with many responsibilities with a store which may include stocking shelves, collecting shopping carts and picking up garbage.
In some instances, they also assist customers with their queries and purchases.
Courtesy Clerk Job Requirements
Working as a courtesy clerk provides one with good experience of working in a retail or grocery environment.
While there are no formal education requirements to work as a courtesy clerk, there are some personal requirements that an individual needs to meet.
That may include being friendly and polite and ensuring that they portray a well-groomed appearance.
When you begin to prepare a resume for a courtesy clerk, remember to look over the following list of job duties for this position:
Sample Job Description for Courtesy Clerk Resume
• Assist cashiers and customers at the checkout counter by bagging purchased products.
• Identify kind of items and ensure that they are separately bagged.
• Make sure that heavy items are bagged in reinforced (or doubled) bags.
• Ensure the safety of items (such as eggs and milk) by gently handling them.
• Make sure that there are enough bags available at the cash counter at all times.
• Pick up grocery bags and deliver them to the customers’ cars.
• Round up any stray shopping carts and put them in the right place.
• Pick up litter from the parking lot and the store and make sure that it is set away in garbage cans.
• Dust shelves and items and make sure that shelves are stocked and displayed correctly.
• Sweep and mop sales floors and clean bathrooms.
• Take out the trash and ensure that all grocery sections are cleaned thoroughly.
• Place returned merchandise to shelves.
• Assist customers in locating items and provide them with product information.
• Check product price to ensure that it matches with the up-to-date price list.
• Assist cashiers with change requests.
• Direct customers to the returns and exchange departments of the store.
• Respond to customers with special requests such as bagging some items together.
• Attend fitting rooms and retrieve outfits and accessories for customers.