Summer camp counselors are hired particularly to lead age-appropriate summer camp activities.
They are responsible for assessing the needs of each group of members within a summer camp module and understand what their entertainment and sports needs are.
Additionally, they are required to plan, implement, and execute activities to meet those needs.
It is a challenging job that needs extraordinary skills in understanding camp activities and handling large groups of people.
Since behavioral issues are a norm in summer camps, summer camp counselors are required to be experts in handling members with behavioral problems.
Additionally, they need to be savvy with sports such as baseball, basketball, and swimming.
See also: Summer Camp Counselor Resume
Summer Camp Counselor Duties and Responsibilities
• Coordinate efforts with summer camp management to understand types of member groups enrolled
• Plan activities in accordance with each member group’s specific interests
• Write and implement weekly schedules for camp groups
• Organize activities such as songs, games, archery, canoeing and opening and closing ceremonies
• Ascertain that all campsites are clean and free of debris and hazardous materials
• Lead summer camp activities such as nature walks, trekking, and hiking
• Instruct members in setting up the camping gear and tents and provide them with information regarding coexisting with nature
• Procure supplies and equipment for summer camp activities such as material for arts and crafts projects
• Provide parents and guardians with information on designated camp activities
• Manage members’ behavioral issues by addressing them in an appropriate manner
• Ensure the safety and security of campers by fostering an environment of welfare
• Create and maintain records of camp members personal information and attendance records
• Teach survival skills to camp members and handle emergency situations by practicing CPR and First Aid
• Enforce appropriate behavior management techniques and supervise instructors to participate in camp activities actively
• Recognize the need for problem resolution in groups and between individuals and indulge in activities to resolve it