Line cooks typically work under a sous chef where they are responsible for preparing and cooking assigned food items with precision and accuracy. They are also required to organize and clean the kitchen as well as work areas in order to ensure proper sanitation.
Line cooks work in the hospitality industry; usually in hotels, cafeterias, and restaurants. They perform more than just preparing food and cleaning up tasks, as they sometimes work as substitute chefs. But this, of course, depends on their level of training.
A line cook will need to possess some essential skills if he wants to be successful in this job. These skills should be included in a line cook resume to get more interviews. Let us take a look at what these skills are.
Top 10 Line Cook Skills to Add in a Resume
- Highly skilled in preparing, seasoning, and cooking an extensive range of foods such as soups, salads, entrees, and desserts.
- Hands-on experience in garnishing and arranging, as well as serving food.
- Ability to ensure the highest standards of food quality and plating specifications.
- Special talent for preparing A La Carte as well as buffet-style menu.
- Demonstrated ability to check the freshness of raw food as well as ingredients before cooking.
- Substantial knowledge of food safety and handling procedures.
- Well-versed in cleaning work areas, equipment, utensils, dishes, and silverware.
- Well versed with standards and procedures relating to food safety.
- Committed to providing quality food service.
- Knowledge of food and beverage serving.
13 Line Cook Soft Skills for Resume
- Attention to detail
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Customer Service
- Following directions
- Positive attitude
- Friendly by nature
- Punctual and reliable
- Flexible schedule
- Strong work ethic
In fact, these are just some of the many skills of a line cook. Since a line cook needs to work under the supervision of a sous chef, it is of utmost importance that he possesses some knowledge of the hospitality industry especially kitchen work.
As the physical demands of this job are high, to say the least, it is essential for a line cook to be physically agile as he may be required to work on his feet quite a lot.
See also: Line Cook Qualifications