With technology booming out of proportions, the need for hiring technically sound individuals is increasing. All companies, across all industries need to hire the services of computer support technicians to help them in handling and operating technology-dependent machines. These individuals make sure that users are made aware of the way different computer systems and peripherals are run, and help them when issues such as glitches or crashes occur.
Educations and Skills Requirement
Working as a computer support technician will require you to possess a degree in computer sciences at the very least. If you have had prior troubleshooting and system installing and maintenance experience, you will be considered a better candidate to hire than one who has just a degree to his or her name. In addition to formal education, you will need to possess excellent troubleshooting and analytic skills so that you can apply them when there is a problem with the system or the network.
Typically, computer support technicians are jacks of all trades where computer technology is concerned. They may be asked to assist with both software and hardware, and will be expected to ensure that all systems and networks are up and running at all times. It is their responsibility to make sure that downtime is minimized so that no user’s work or deadline is compromised.
Here is a list of duties that are particular to the position of a computer support technician:
Job Description for Computer Support Technician Resume
• Install software and hardware components according to vendor specifications.
• Test all installed hardware and software to ensure that it is working properly.
• Assist users in determining the use of technology, and provide them with support in determining how to perform minor maintenance on them.
• Provide education to users regarding internal and external threats including malware and viruses, and suggest ways of overcoming them.
• Ascertain that all stations within a LAN or WAN are in proper working condition, ensuring that any glitches are seen to in an immediate fashion.
• Troubleshoot technical problems such as system downtime and peripheral failure in a timely manner, aiming to minimize downtime.
• Ascertain that all system cables are properly secured and plated, aiming to keep damage at bay.
• Intervene during dire circumstances such as system hacks and virus attacks, attempting to keep data as safe as possible.
• Create and implement data backups on a regular basis to ensure that information is not lost if the system
• Perform both preventative and regular maintenance on all computer systems and peripherals.
Last updated on