Prior to being hired as a domestic cleaner, you will go through a thorough interview process.
In the domestic cleaner interview, the hiring manager will try to determine what your specific skills are as far as cleaning houses is concerned. It is your responsibility to convince them that you are the best out of the candidate pool because you have the right skills set and background.
At the interview for a domestic cleaner position, it is imperative that you highlight your knowledge of using the right types of cleaning and sanitizing supplies. Also, focus on our ability to ensure the maintenance of the house. Emphasize your skills in disposing of trash in a proper way, and handling other housekeeping work such as laundry, and pet care.
A few questions that you may expect at a domestic house cleaner interview are provided below:
23 Possible Interview Questions and Answers for Domestic House Cleaner
1. Tell me a little bit about yourself.
I am a domestic cleaner, with 10+ years of experience in cleaning and maintaining homes. I began my career in the hospitality industry but soon discovered that I wanted to work in a more homely environment. After 2 years of housekeeping work in one of the city’s biggest hotels, I perused a career as a domestic cleaner.
2. Tell me about the work duties that you have performed as a domestic cleaner.
While working as a domestic cleaner, I have performed many tasks such as sweeping and mopping, washing floors and windows, and vacuuming carpets and rugs. In addition, I have been busy cleaning kitchen and bathroom surfaces, performing sanitizing work, and handling trash removal. Moreover, my work involves folding and putting away laundry, and at times, washing clothes too.
3. What is your most profound skill?
I believe that my ability to work on more than one task at a time is my best skill. I can work on many things at the same time while ensuring that the quality of work is never compromised.
4. Do you like working alone or in a team environment?
Working alone is what most domestic cleaners do. I do not mind it one bit. But then, I do not mind working with others as well. I am pretty easygoing.
5. How do you handle conflict with homeowners?
I don’t see why there should be any conflicts with homeowners. I do what they tell me to do, and there is never an issue. And if there is something that they don’t like, I redo it. It is quite simple to keep them happy.
6. What is the most likable part of working as a domestic cleaner?
The satisfaction of leaving a clean house for someone who has worked hard at their office, and wants to come back to a comfortable space is what I like most about this work.
7. What do you dislike about this work?
Nothing at all. I love my work in all its entirety and do not wish to be anywhere else.
8. What is your greatest strength?
My greatest strength is my thoroughness. I leave no stone unturned to do things perfectly.
9. What is your greatest weakness?
My greatest weakness is perhaps my desire for perfection. I want things done in a certain order, and if the order is disturbed, it doesn’t sit very well with me.
10. In your opinion, what is the one task that needs constant attention in this work?
When you are working as a domestic cleaner, you have to work with cleaning agents that are certainly not harmless. Hence, you have to be careful about how you mix and use them. This part of the work needs constant attention, without which, people and belongings can be at great risk.
11. Do you have any experience in cleaning sensitive appliances?
Yes, I am highly experienced in cleaning and sanitizing appliances such as ovens and grills, fridges and freezers, and washing machines. I am also well-versed in safely cleaning computer screens and peripherals.
12. Have you ever used green cleaning products?
I have my own concoction of cleaning products, which are herbal in nature. I use them only if approved by house owners.
13. Is there any specific task that you do not perform because of an allergy, or any other reason?
I perform all the cleaning tasks. I am not allergic to anything. Since I use products that are mild, allergies are never an issue.
14. Do you have any experience in outdoor cleaning?
I have worked in a capacity where I was required to clean garages, walkways, and lawns as well, and I am quite well-versed in performing related jobs.
15. Can you work on flexible hours?
I have no problems working flexible hours.
16. How do you handle moving heavy furniture for vacuuming?
I am a physically strong individual and have never needed help to move furniture so that I can clean properly.
17. If you found a personal item and didn’t know who it belonged to, what would you do?
I would hand it over to the homeowner of course.
18. What is the most challenging part of working as a domestic cleaner?
I find it quite challenging to clean baby nurseries, as I feel that the disinfection process needs to be perfect, as babies are highly sensitive.
19. Do you have any issues with cleaning bathrooms and restrooms?
Not at all. A cleaning job well done on bathrooms and restrooms is actually quite a satisfactory instance for me.
20. What would you do if a child kept spilling something that you had to clean repeatedly?
I would clean it as many times as it is spilled. That is my job.
21. If we decide to hire you, when is the earliest that you can join us?
I can join you immediately, as I am between jobs at the moment.
22. Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?
I see myself heading a team of domestic cleaners in a training and supervision capacity.
23. Do you have any questions for me?
I would love to know more about the expectations of this domestic house cleaner role.