Working in a restaurant or coffee shop requires exceptional hospitality and customer service skills.
There is no way that you can be successful at what you do if you are not customer service-oriented. And for a prospective employer to know that you have these skills, you will have to place them on your resume strategically.
The skills section in a barista resume is given a lot of attention by many employers who are looking to hire the right person. The absence of skills or expertise section may end up in your resume being put down as soon as the reader realizes it is missing. Do not take this risk and pay particular attention to how you mention your skills in your resume.
Why are barista skills so important?
Are they more important than experience?
The answer to the first question is that skills are essential because you cannot do anything if you are not skilled.
The answer to the second is not as straightforward. You cannot compare skills and experience.
They are both important in their way. Mention of work experience is a given in resumes. Everyone supplies this information. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about skills. People often forget to include this information.
Here is a list of skills for a barista position that you may want to look through to determine how you can write them on a barista resume:
Barista Skills List for Resume
• Ability to handle coffee grinding and brewing equipment by following set recipes and standards
• Hands-on experience in preparing and selling coffee drinks by following prescribed preparation techniques and recipes
• Proficient in creating special coffee drinks such as lattes, mochas, and cappuccinos
• Adept at operating and maintaining dedicated coffee making and brewing equipment such as coffee makers
• Qualified to determine the difference between coffee beans, along with the ability to educate customers about different blends and their taste strengths
• Focused on creating delicious and flavorful combinations of coffee to ensure that customers are provided with palatable coffee drinks
• Committed to maintaining the highest quality of coffee blends
• Proven ability to educate customers about different coffee blending methods and providing them with suggestions according to their tastes
• Understanding of coffee regions and differences in flavor and blends
• Skilled in maintaining a calm demeanor during periods of high customer volume by ensuring consistent and constant customer services
• Highly skilled in anticipating customers’ needs for coffee and food items and fulfilling them in an accurate and immediate fashion