Salad Bar Attendant Job Description
A salad bar attendant is an individual who is hired especially to man salad bars in restaurants, hotels, fairs, and food markets.
They are not only required to handle the customer service end of the work, but also the food preparation part of it.
This means that if you want to work as a salad bar attendant, you need to know both these areas before you will be given consideration for hiring.
To work as a salad bar attendant, you have to possess a high school diploma or a GED equivalent at the very least. If you have some experience of working in a similar capacity, your candidature will, of course, be considered highly.
Even if you have some exposure in a different area within the foodservice industry, you will be considered a good contender to hire as a salad bar attendant.
Customer service skills are a given when you are working at this position, as you will be in constant contact with them. Apart from these, it is important that you possess exceptional knowledge of creating salads that complement different world cuisines. Some salad bars also host snacks such as sandwiches and mini burgers which is why knowledge of creating them is also important.
As a salad bar attendant, your main duties will be to make sure that the bar assigned to you is functional and properly managed. Other duties that you will be performing in this regard will include:
Salad Bar Attendant Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet customers as they approach the salad bar, and provide them with information on available salads.
- Educate customers about the different types of salads and their ingredients, along with informing them about which foods they complement.
- Dish out a salad to customers, according to their instructions, and pack them for taking away orders.
- Receive and process cash and credit card transactions for each item sold, and tender change and receipts.
- Ensure that customers’ complaints and suggestions are taken into account and reported or resolved on the spot.
- Replenish items in the salad bars, ensuring that low stock situations do not arise.
- Toss salads according to specified recipes and instructions and ensure that any toppings and dressings are properly mixed in.
- Ensure that takeaway boxes and plates are available at the beginning of each shift.
- Create and maintain effective relationships with kitchen staff to ensure delivery and availability of required ingredients.
- Ensure that all prepared salads are properly and hygienically placed within the salad bar, and covered with cling film or plastic wrap.
- Clean, sanitize, and maintain the areas in and around salad bars on a constant basis.