Food attendants are important part of the food service and hospitality industries. In some work environments, they perform a lot of the duties of a standard waiter. In others, they are required to handle an entire myriad of activities related to food preparation and serving.
One of the main jobs of a food attendant is to ensure that all food supplies, including condiments and ingredients is available in the kitchen, prior to the opening of the establishment. They may also be required to oversee the operations of catering facilities, depending on their specific job description.
Working as a food attendant requires you to possess a high school diploma or a GED at the very minimum, with some exposure to food-related activities within a food service establishment. If you are well-organized, can communicate well and have the ability to provide exceptional customer services, working as a food attendant may be just down your alley.
• Look through food orders slips to determine which food items have been ordered by the customer
• Ascertain that the right items have been placed on serving trays by thoroughly examining them
• Maintain inventories of food supplies including ingredients and condiments and ensure that any low stock items are immediately procured
• Monitor ingredient distribution within the kitchen area to ensure that the right item is delivered to the right person
• Oversee food rotation activities and ensure that any expired items are immediately discarded
• Set up attractive food displays on tables and trays and assist in the proper setting up of dining areas
• Greet customers and take and record their orders for food and beverage items
• Assist kitchen staff in preparing orders by handling garnishing and portioning duties
• Provide support in setting up buffet tables and monitor food levels to ensure constant supply
• Maintain adequate supplies of items such as trays and glassware and ensure that the condiments station is properly stocked
• Deliver customers’ orders to their tables and fill ice and beverage glasses
• Clean and polish counters, shelves and furniture in accordance to the restaurant’s specific procedures of cleaning and sanitation