To determine exactly what it is that needs to go into your cover letter, refer to the following:
• Address your letter to an individual as opposed to “Dear Sir / Madam.”
• Make it brief – 1 page is sufficient
• Don’t use large font sizes. A standard 12 works best
• Proofread for grammatical or spelling errors
• State specifically why you are writing
• Demonstrate as much energy and enthusiasm as possible without going overboard
• Expand on key information from your resume but do not reiterate information provided in it
• Actively sell your unique qualities by targeting your skills and interests
• Show that you have done your homework by emphasizing exactly why you want to work for the organization
• Encourage the hiring manager to take a closer look at your resume
Your writing style should be clear and concise. Use powerful action verbs and phrases to describe everything that you have to say about your professional and personal self. The power of words cannot be undermined in a cover letter. The better you write, the more are your chances for success. As you proofread your cover letter, you will come across many instances where you would want to change the content. Do it. Trust your judgement.
The end result should be something like this:
522 Maple Street
Cresco, IA 19654
December 10, 2015
Mr. Earl Parks
52 York Street
Cresco, IA 12121
Dear Mr. Parks:
The challenge that is the basis of working as a “jack of all trades” is what makes me thrive in a professional setting. As an operations assistant who has had considerable experience in working in challenging roles which constantly stimulate the brain to work even more actively, I can be a good addition to your administrative team.
If chosen to work as an operations assistant, I can provide Ricoh with the following benefits:
• Increased operational efficiency through effective provision of support services across all departments
• Creation of company procedures and policies as a means of constant improvement in company practices
• Exceptional scheduling, meeting and customer support through effective implementation of standard operating procedures
Being able to work on different levels with the same amount of urgency and professionalism, you will find me a valuable addition. Please refer to the enclosed resume for further details, which I am willing to back up in a meeting with you soon. I can be contacted at (777) 777-7777 if you need any questions answered.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Last updated on