The power of a well-written resume is all very well, but finding an inside advocate will probably help your case a little more.
So a good resume and an inside source both will make a concoction that the employer cannot refuse.
Hiring managers often find relief in hiring people who are recommended by someone who is already working for the company. So if an inside advocate can deliver your resume to the hiring manager, you have crossed half the race track!
This is especially useful where jobs in closed committees are concerned.
For instance, if you are applying for a job as a church administrative assistant, you may be your own best advocate!
Churches often hire their own members because they know them well and can foresee how they will work.
And if this is the position that you are applying for, you can take ideas from the following resume sample:
739 Shaker Drive, Lexington, KY 22883
felicity.harper @ email . com
Church Administrative Assistant
Dependable individual with deep understanding of church values and correlating administrative work. Innovative problem solver with critical problem solving skills and ability to work on own initiative. Inspirational and energetic; tenacious and practical.
• Documented success in creating and implementing church outreach programs.
• Well-versed in generating church council reports and ensuring that they reach members in a time-efficient manner.
• Demonstrated expertise in handling church finances, including contributions, payroll, bank reconciliations, and yearly member contribution reports.
• Secretarial work
• Internet proficiency
• Confidentiality Maintenance
• Priority management
• Premise Security
• Scheduling and Bookkeeping
• Events Planning
• Reduced church electricity bills by 55% by performing the majority of services in church lawns.
• Grew member interest in church activities by implementing 15 outreach programs.
• Increased church members from 650 to 1000 by introducing Jesus in Us, a program specially designed to interest teenagers in attending church.
• Reorganized church administrative procedures by incorporating technology and reducing paperwork.
Church Administrative Assistant
First United Methodist Church, Lexington, KY | 6/2016-Present
• Greet members of the church as they arrive and politely respond to their queries
• Assist members looking for information and schedule appointments with pastors
• Receive and distribute mail to intended recipients and create correspondence upon specific instructions provided by church staff
• Screen and route incoming calls and make outgoing calls for information and appointment purposes
• Compose emails regarding church events, baptisms, deaths, births, weddings, and funerals
• Maintain membership records in church data software
• File paperwork regarding births, deaths, baptisms, funerals, and weddings
• Coordinate employee meetings and set up counseling meetings and lunches
• Receive and arrange to have incoming invoices paid
• Arrange for payroll slips to be prepared and salaries paid on time
• Handle church event details by coordinating efforts with suppliers and vendors
• Oversee the setup and takedown of events such as weddings and funerals
• Respond to requests for paperwork such as birth and death certificates
Gardenside Baptist Church, Lexington, KY | 1/2013-6/2016
• Responded to members’ queries over the telephone and in-person
• Provided members with information on church services and available dates and times
• Scheduled meetings with church staff and followed up on appointments
• Handled paperwork regarding weddings, births, deaths, funerals, and baptisms
• Assisted with event preparation details such as weddings and funerals
G.E.D – St. Peter’s High School, Lexington, KY – 2009
• Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Internet Research