Restaurant servers are employed by casual eateries and dining restaurants and aim to provide exceptional services to guests and customers. The basic job of a server is to greet and seat customers, take orders and deliver orders promptly, accurately and efficiently. While this position is generally one that is of a support role, restaurant servers have a lot of responsibilities on their shoulders as they are accountable for maintaining the first contact with customers and need to make a positive impression at all times.
A restaurant server needs to be customer oriented with high focus on delivery quality services. When a server is hired, an employer pays special attention to communication skills, adaptability and the ability to work in a team environment. An ideal candidate for the position of a server needs to be able to expedite orders, attend to customers’ needs, assist in cashing out the register and possess a strong desire to fulfill the desires of the customers at all times. Additionally, a server must possess the ability to engage in casual conversation with customers without sounding too personal.
Some restaurants train their servers to be able to work in other fields as well such as cooking and cleaning so that in the event of another member of the staff’s absence, the server can substitute. This is one of the reasons that restaurant owners like their staff to be able to multitask and take over responsibilities of other departments when the need occurs. Essentially, a restaurant server needs to be able to handle pressure well along with the ability to set priorities and make decisions based on quality. Since a server’s job is that of the first tier (first contact with the customer), it is absolutely essential that he or she is well dressed and well spoken. While writing a server resume, add these kinds of skills statements in order to impress the reader.
Look at some example phrases of summary of qualifications and skills for a Restaurant Server Resume.
Restaurant Server Qualifications and Skills for Resume
• Demonstrated skills in greeting customers, presenting menus, taking food orders and expediting them through the kitchen
• In-depth understanding of serving food and attending to the customers’ needs
• Able to cash out customers, clear and clean tables and wash dishes
• Comprehensive knowledge of cleaning dining rooms and refilling condiment containers
• Substantial knowledge of controlling guest checks and securing proper payment
• Able to perform general preparation work under the supervision of the restaurant manager
• Demonstrated ability to maintain proper condition and sanitation of dining areas and servicing tools