Medical secretaries work at hospitals, clinics and group practices in an administrative role. They are expected to man the front desk and handle all kinds of secretarial, administrative and clerical work that is part of this position.
The foremost work duty of a medical secretary is to provide first contact services for the facility that she is working for. A medical secretary will usually be the first person a patient will see which is why she needs to ensure that she maintains and projects a good impression. Medical secretaries are required to provide patients and families with information on the facility’s practices and procedures. They schedule appointments and meetings between doctors and patients and are required to educate patients about what their rights are and how they will be expected to act during a procedure.
Additionally, medical secretaries compile and record medical charts and reports and manage correspondence for the doctor’s office. They also interview patients in order to obtain preliminary information regarding case histories, demography and insurance.
Medical secretaries are an integral part of a healthcare facility as they handle quite a lot of administrative work and ensure smooth running of the facility that they are working for. Candidates applying for this position are usually required to have excellent organizational skills along with sound knowledge of medical terminology. Some medical secretaries are also required to manage billing and coding for a medical practice which is why facilities prefer that a candidate has some knowledge of billing codes and insurance carrier information.
Job Description for Medical Secretary Resume
• Greeted patients, families and visitors
• Updated patient’s demographic and insurance information
• Answered and screened incoming phone calls
• Obtained comprehensive information and took correct written messages
• Directed calls to suitable person with minimal transfers
• Responded to common questions concerning the practice, health insurance coverage and billing procedures
• Verified patient eligibility
• Performed basic patient care activities
• Screened mail
• Prepared correspondence
• Maintained calendar
• Assisted with physician’s and staff travel arrangements and setting up meetings
• Completed patients’ registration
• Arranged appointments for diagnostic tests
• Obtained pre-certification for services with insurance companies
• Handled requests from patients for prescription refills
• Ensured customer service excellence at the facility
Medical Secretary Resume Skills and Capabilities
• Demonstrated ability to provide secretarial and clerical support for physician’s office
• Good knowledge of medical terminology
• In-depth knowledge of common office practices, procedures, and equipment
• Familiar with business English, spelling, punctuation grammar and arithmetic
• Highly skilled in using a range of office software applications including; word processing, excel, presentation packages, and databases applications to create documents
• Able to understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Track record of communicating effectively both orally and in writing
• Well versed in proofing office correspondence and forms for typographical errors, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
• Skilled in performing basic arithmetic calculations
• Adept at alphabetical and numeric filing