The machines that we use in daily life were all made by other machines – sounds cryptic? It isn’t really! There are machines that make machines and in order to run them, people are needed. Machine operators are the people who operate and maintain the machinery that is used in making other equipment or used in construction, household and lots of other settings. Machine operators are categorized by the type of machinery they operate but this categorization is complicated so let us just talk about machine operators in general and what they do.
Machine operators may work inside or outside of factories depending on their individual work assignment. Regardless of place they work, they are expected to operate high speed machine tools for fabricating or manufacturing parts or putting parts together. There are a number of machines that these professionals may use including drills, large scale sewing machines, milling machines, industrial printers and heavy machines like forklifts and cranes.
Another job duty of a machine operator is to monitor the events of a manufacturing or construction project and record them to verify results. They check materials and products to ensure that a perfect combination is used and may perform quality checks to ensure total quality management. Machine operators are required to check the equipment that they are using for problems and perform maintenance tasks in order to ensure that no glitches occur at the time of work. They also check and prepare raw materials that a machine needs to work and load these materials appropriately.
There are many skills needed to perform the job of a machine operator as this is essentially a skilled job which is not backed by a college degree. Physical agility and good hand-eye coordination is an absolute must and the ability to read and decipher blue prints is a prerequisite. Additionally, a person performing this job needs to have knowledge of safe machine operation practices and some knowledge of mathematical calculations is also a plus.
When writing your resume, you need to integrate diverse duties into some sentences. Check the job duties statements below to get a better idea.
• Operated mill, lathe, drill, automatics, hone and lap, numerical control equipment and burr efficiently and safely
• Read blueprints, work from layouts and dimensions on drawings to perform assigned tasks
• Loaded, aligned and operated machines per drawing instructions
• Utilized micrometers, vernier calipers, overhead crane and hand tools
• Weighed ingredients to specific quantities using calibrated scales and balances
• Monitored machines for problems and troubleshooted problems
• Checked raw materials for quality and quantity ahead of loading into machine
• Prepared raw materials to be loaded into the machine
• Prepared tooling for changeovers and performed machine changeovers.
• Followed production instructions of supervisor to ensure quality
• Interacted with customers and visitors
• Carried out basic calculations with aid of a computer and calculator
• Followed written instructions and batch records
• Maintained quality and quantity with strong sense of accountability and high standards
• Completed relevant documentation
• Cleaned and maintained equipment and work area