If you are fully qualified for a legal secretary position and have been applying at various places without success, one of the following is true:
• Your resume is not effective enough
• Your resume networking is not effective
To address the first issue, you need to rewrite your resume. Make sure it caters perfectly to the employers’ needs in professional language. Whatever the ad asks for, state those skills on the top and optimize them more. Remember, relevance is the key to getting your resume noticed. Any irrelevant skill or experience doesn’t need to be mentioned. All you need to do is to develop a targeted version of your resume that is short, crisp and convincing.
The second possible issue, networking is also very crucial. To address it, you need to broaden your search for jobs. Try to answer these questions: Am I applying in the correct industry? Do my social media profiles support my candidacy? Am I applying at enough places? What kind of jobs can a person with my skills do best?
Here are 2 resume examples along with this cover letter for legal secretary position to assist you writing your own.
722 Park Street, Willow Springs, MO 99383
(000) 999-9999, brent @ email . com
Willing to take new challenges in legal arena.
OBJECTIVE: Seeking a position as a Legal Secretary with ABC Law Firm utilizing exceptional clerical skills and knowledge of legal matters to provide effective support to the attorney.
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS
• 2+ years’ hands-on experience in legal arena
• Highly skilled in providing routine secretarial services to attorneys to ensure sound management of work
• In depth knowledge of retrieving information and performing research tasks
• Proficient in liaising between attorneys, courts, witnesses, victims and other agencies as requires
• Proven ability to organize and maintain office administration work
• Good command over legal terminology
• Highly-familiar with briefs and pleading procedures
• Introduced the concept of file management system for Acme Legal Services, being run on conventional methods of inventory and file retrieval thereby saving time by 30%
• Achieved appreciation letter for three times
ABC LEGAL SERVICES – Willow Springs, MO
Legal Secretary, Apr 2014 – Present
• Liaise between attorney’s office and other agencies including clients
• Schedule attorneys’ calendar with respect to court dates and client appointments
• Assemble documents and keep check on pending cases
• Maintain legal library and perform research activities pertaining to cases
• Gather data for surveys
• Type legal documents
• Organize, maintain and retrieve case files as and when required
LIBERTY MUTUAL – Orange, CA
Law Clerk, Jun 2013 – Apr 2014
• Performed legal research through manual and electronic sources
• Assisted attorneys in brief and opinion writing
• Prepared draft memos
• Collected and gathered facts and relevant case information
• Drafted pleadings and motions
• Assisted lawyers and attorneys in preparing for depositions and trials
CITY LAW COLLEGE, Orange, CA
Associate of Arts in Law
EXCERPT FROM REFERENCE
Judith is known for managing all legal tasks in a time-effective manner …
– Anna Doe, Manager, ABC LEGAL SERVICES
2110 Derek Drive • Washington, DC • (004) 333-4444 • veronica @ email . com
PERFORMANCE SUMMARY: Versatile, agile and tenacious Legal Secretary with 7+ years of litigation experience with state and federal courts. Good grasp over trial pleadings and file preparation for court hearings. Commendable skills in filing appeals, processing bankruptcies and preparing legal briefs. Expert in carrying out varied and complex legal secretarial work in the office of an attorney or general counsel.
|– Correspondence Typing||– Documents Transcription||– Ordinance Issuance|
|– Presentation||– Docket Management||– Calendar Keeping|
|– Clerical Support||– Case Coordination||– File Tracking|
|– Legal Pleadings||– Trial Notes||– Witness Summoning|
• Reorganized the filing system leveraging effective cataloging strategies that led to a 50% reduction in retrieval time.
• Streamlined the documentation process ensuring 100% case validity.
• Enhanced overall efficiency of case file preparation by 60% through vigilant case analysis and effective organization of evidences.
Legal Secretary | ROPES AND GREY, Washington, DC | 8/2008 to Present
• Prepare legal documents and assist in litigation project management
• Carryout case related research and compile all researched material
• Draft correspondence and pleading documents under supervision of attorney
• Prepare legal briefs for filing in appeal courts
Legal Intern | LEGAL PRACTICE, Washington, DC | 5/2007 to 8/2008
• Answered telephone calls an scheduled meetings
• Maintained attorney’s calendar
• Checked legal citations for accuracy
• Assisted the attorney in brief preparation
INSTITUTE OF ADVOCACY, Washington, DC – 2007
A.S. Criminal Justice