Host Job Description
A host is actually the first point of contact within a restaurant or hotel setting. The main function of a host is to ensure that patrons receive the best dining experience. Their job starts with dressing perfectly all the way to providing perfect services where seating, greeting and serving dinner is concerned.
Host Resume Guidelines
Think of your resume for host position like an advertising flyer. You are promoting something i.e. your skills and core competencies.
Write your resume in a way to catch the attention of the hiring manager to make your stand out from every other candidate. Your resume must be attractive enough to make a desire for the hiring manager to invite you in for an interview – by proving your capability to meet their requirements and showing them how you produce fruitful results, increase guest satisfaction and maximize profits. Focus a host resume on what the prospective organization seeking in the employee, not what you want to get from the employer. Place your strongest selling points and hospitality skills in the second paragraph.
Note: Keep in mind that a host resume is not a story of your whole career. It is just one page document highlighting your relevant qualifications, skills and experiences in a bullet form.
Here is a resume example that will assist you in understanding what a hiring manager expect from this position.
Related: Restaurant Host Resume Sample
90 Example Street, Plymouth, MI 32541
(909) 009-9119, Email
OBJECTIVE: Seeking a Host position at Bentley Hotels utilizing excellence in customer services and hands-on experience in the hospitality industry.
• Over five years of experience in hospitality industry
• Highly skilled in greeting and seating guests in a friendly and personalized manner
• In depth knowledge of coordinating dining room activities with the backend
• Proficiency in planning menus and maintaining staff schedules
• Hands on experience in assisting with parties and other events within the hotel premises
• Trained new employees as hosts and hostesses for the opening of the new restaurant in the hotel
• Managed to juggle work between three large scale events within the hotel without room for errors
Host | Hyatt – Plymouth, MI | Nov 2010 – Present
• Greet guests as they arrive and bid farewell at departure
• Wipe down menus and ensure all workplaces and guest areas are clean
• Coordinate with phone reservations to ensure scheduling
• Check with the kitchen to ensure all stock is available
• Plan seating chart and organize reservations
• Coordinate with server to ensure guests are being served promptly
• Take orders, deliver orders to the kitchen and ensure appropriate order is served
• Work as cashier when needed
Server | Marriott – Boston, MA | Oct 2007 – Nov 2010
• Answered questions of patrons on menu selections
• Served food courses and beverages to guests
• Set tables in keeping with type of occasion and service standards
• Corresponded with the kitchen about menu questions, the length of wait, re-cook orders, and item availability
High School Diploma – 2006
• Excellent guest service and communication skills
• Good organizational and multitasking skill
• Proven ability to portray a pleasing demeanor at all times
• Able to work on a rotating shift