Security guards are responsible for the safety of people and premises in the area that they are working in. They respond to alarms that may identify crimes, fires and medical emergencies and use their training and expertise to handle the situation appropriately.
Security guards are alert individuals who are expected to look out for potential trouble and attempt to manage a non savory situation. They make rounds of the premises that are assigned to them in order to provide protection to it and the people and assets within and to ward of any criminal activities. In the event of a criminal activity happening, security guards reports instances of malpractice such as vandalism and theft and attempt to control it until reinforcement arrives.
Needless to say, security guards need to be extremely vigilant and skilled in their work. They should be able to use their training and skills in every second that they are at work.
Let us have a look at some of the skills that a security guard is expected to practice while on duty. These skills can be effectively utilized in the ‘skills’ or qualifications section of a resume.
Security Guard Resume Skills
1. Demonstrated ability to handle and resolve conflicts in an effective manner
2. Working knowledge of securing a facility/premises using advanced techniques
3. Ability to act with urgency in an emergency situation
4. Working knowledge of using firearms and other security equipment
5. Excellent judgment aptitude with a solid ability to detect imminent threats
6. Able to work in a rotating shift
7. Exceptional knowledge of First Aid and CPR
8. Excellent communication skills
9. Good eye for detail with the ability to stay organized at all times
10. Polite and courteous demeanor
11. Particularly effective in working independently
12. Proven ability to adapt to changing priorities
13. Experience of working in a fast paced environment
14. Effective listening skills
15. Physically dexterous
16. Profound ability to maintain confidentiality of information
17. Committed to respond quickly in urgent situations
18. Extremely capable of monitoring premises through advanced security cameras
19. Long term interest in patrolling assigned areas
20. Very vigilant to suspicious individuals and things
Since this work is highly dependent on the personality of the person doing it, it is important for a security guard to be flawless in his actions and technique. People who cannot work long shifts or are not quick thinkers can never be good security guards which is why they are screened thoroughly before a training procedure commences.