It is often quite difficult to balance the many aspects of college life such as multiple courses, assignments, co-curricular activities and part time jobs. Academic coaches are usually hired to assist students juggle all these successfully while establishing and maintaining positive daily routines for them. It is up to academic coaches to help students understand how to achieve academic success by employing strategies to improve current management structures.
The most important part of an academic coach’s work is to assist students in understanding how to use their time and provide them with feedback on levels of organization or lack thereof which will inadvertently impact their studies.
College is a stressful time for many of us and it is easy to be nervous and let stress take over. Retrieving information that we might have learnt during class may become difficult during exams and this is another problem that academic coaches help us with. They assist us in examining and fortifying our study skills which may eventually help us with reading for comprehension and developing writing processes successfully.
Sample Job Description for Academic Coach Resume
• Serve as an instructional leader by ensuing adherence to relevant academic standards
• Create plans for professional growth of teachers and monitor student achievement
• Make and implement plans to increase student proficiency
• Orient students to campus resources such as counseling and library services
• Develop strategies to break difficult tasks into smaller, more achievable steps for students
• Assess students’ academic progress by employing regular check-in processes
• Assist students in alleviating exam anxiety and concentrating on study sessions
• Promote use of consistent instructional framework along with providing assistance in handling research based strategies
• Assist teachers in modeling instructional strategies in class
• Coordinate with other departments within the school to understand and meet students’ needs
• Provide assistant to teachers in analyzing exam data with a view to create and implement plans to target identified student needs
• Assist teachers in preparing and pacing instruction
• Provide support to instructional teams in setting appropriate goals for the purpose of improved instruction
• Help teachers in building and maintaining interactive classroom environment which is focused on learning strategies
• Observe teachers during instruction and provide them with basic or concentrated support so that they can meet their goals effectively
• Develop and employ measures to ensure enhancement of program articulation and system integrity