A dental assistant, also called a dental hygienist, has to perform many tasks in clinic utilizing a special set of skills. If you want to get a job as a Dental Assistant, you need to highlight these specific skills in the ‘Skills’ or ‘Qualifications’ section of your resume.
Needless to say, you must also have a compassionate nature because you’re going into the medical profession, which is a profession in which you help people. And, as always, you must have good verbal and written communication skills to mention in your resume.
Following statements and phrases of dental assistant skills are written by professionals in order to assist you making a perfect resume.
Dental Assistant Resume Skills
• Adept at preparing instruments and making sure they have been sterilized
• Demonstrated ability to schedule appointments and make follow-up calls
• Proven ability to impart knowledge about dental procedures
• Methodical understanding of protocols that govern mixing of fillings
• Able to set-up dental trays and tests such as x-rays
• Comprehensive knowledge of maintaining supplies and monitoring inventory
• Proficient in differentiating between dental instruments (you will pass instruments to the dentist during a procedure – so make sure you know them all!)
• Complete understanding of performing dental procedures (you will help out by applying suction, mixing compounds, rinsing and, once the procedure is done, clearing up)
• Proven ability to react appropriately during medical emergencies and help the dentist in maintaining emergency drug kits
• Able to interpret material safety data sheets and record patients’ data
• In depth knowledge of community education on oral health
• Meticulous understanding of preparing invoices and handling receipts