Going to the dentist is always an extremely difficult job – more scary than difficult – to be honest! Apart from a range of other duties that dental hygienists perform, they walk patients through dental procedures in order to ease their fears.
There are a lot of responsibilities that an individual has to perform as a dental hygienist. They assist the dentist with a wide variety of dental tasks and promote oral hygiene and perform cleanings along with taking dental x-rays. Additionally, they assess a patient’s oral health condition, dental charting and even record blood pressure readings prior to a procedure.
On a more detailed note, they remove calculus and plaque from the surfaces of a patient’s teeth and teach patients with appropriate hygiene strategies in order to help them lead a good dental life.
They also perform screening procedures to determine a patient’s oral health in terms of dangerous diseases like mouth or gum cancer. They perform preventive maintenance like scaling so that dental problems do not occur and apply antibacterial materials, fissure sealants and topical fluorides to help prevent teeth and gum issues.
Performing dental procedures is not the only job of a hygienist. He or she may be expected to manage a dentist’s office in terms of administrative and front desk duties. Most dental hygienists will be seen greeting patients, taking phone calls, managing schedules, giving out appointments and managing the office in terms of cleanliness and structure.
• Performed initial dental assessment and consulted with dentists on patient care
• Took dental impressions
• Removed tartar, stains, and plaque from teeth
• Cleaned and stimulated the gums to put a stop to gum disease
• Removed stains and deposits from teeth to stop tooth and root decay
• Instructed and taught patients regarding oral hygiene procedures
• Applied fluoride treatment
• Took and developed X-rays
• Carried out restorative and orthodontic procedures under the direction of a dentist
• Kept record of patient care and treatment plans
• Taught patients how to brush and floss correctly
• Directed dental assistants in routine tasks