A cover letter accompanies your resume when you submit a job application. It introduces you as an individual, briefly highlights your relevant attributes and qualifications to a prospective employer, and outlines your interest in the position and the company.
The one and only purpose of your cover letter is to persuade the employer to see your resume and/or application for job.
Cover Letters in 2017 and 2018
In the years of 2017 and 2018, you should tailor your cover letter to a specific job description and organization. Demonstrate how you fulfill the necessary qualifications for job by emphasizing on reasons why you are an extraordinary candidate.
Cover Letter Tips for 2017 – 2018
• Use convincing language in an active voice
• Build a fact-based precise document with an expressive tone
• Write for hiring managers who scan quickly
• Show consistency in format and content
• Use bold, italics, and underlines to emphasize certain facts
• Leave sufficient white space between paragraphs
• Address your letter to a specific person
• Do sufficient research before writing your cover letter
• Keep it factual and concise i.e. no more than a single page
• Keep away from flowery language
• Use lots of action words to sell your skills and qualifications
• Give relevant examples to support your claims