Couriers work in personal and commercial capacities where their job is to deliver important documents and items from one place to another. While this is mostly a full time position, some professionals and students work as part-time couriers in order to supplement their income.
When working for a courier company, couriers take orders on the phone or a wireless data service in order to determine where an item needs to be picked up and where it must be delivered. Depending on the delivery order, couriers may be expected to pick up payment. When delivering an item or a document, they take signatures on delivery papers. They need to be very careful when making deliveries as accuracy and time efficiency is a very big part of the job.
Some couriers pick up their deliveries from a central place like the courier company; customers deliver their items at the service counter and couriers pick them up and deliver to the destination. Couriers are expected to be excellent drivers as most couriers need to drive a delivery truck to make deliveries. Good driving record and a valid driver’s license are important prerequisites when applying for this position.
There are many other duties that couriers need to perform such as loading trucks, ensure that they are loaded in the manner that they are to be delivered, ensure that all associated documentation is complete and to verify the recipients of the delivered goods. Once the goods are delivered, s/he is expected to inform the office that s/he is done with the delivery. During the last decade this was usually done over the phone but with the influx of technology, couriers are now handed devices that can update this information on the company website and database as soon as a delivery is made.
Job Description Statements for a Courier Resume
• Perform the delivery tasks and pick-up of customer material in a polite, resourceful and professional manner
• Load and unload a delivery truck through a variety of mechanisms
• Ensure documents are delivered and entered accurately
• Perform mailroom duties
• Coordinate of incoming and outgoing mail
• Communicate with main office through a mobile device
• Operate vehicle for the delivery of mail, supplies, products and materials
• Maintain route supply inventory to ensure prompt delivery of products to customers
• Provide basic customer service by giving required information
• Maintain delivery records