Also commonly known as brickmasons or blockmasons, bricklayers are skilled professionals who build and repair structures made out of bricks. They work in many settings including residential and commercial projects. There are a number of types of projects that they work on such as fireplaces, chimneys, walls and floors depending on what kind of work is assigned to them.
Bricklayers do not always work with bricks even though that is their main work material. At times, they are also given projects that require them to work with marble, cinder and terra cotta and sometimes even concrete. Even though formal training courses are available to learn work as a bricklayer, most people learn on the job or during an apprenticeship.
The nature of a bricklayer’s job is highly physical; this is the reason that bricklayers need to be physically agile and alert when working on a project. Some duties of a bricklayer are listed below which will help you when you prepare a resume for this position.
Sample Job Description for Bricklayer Resume
• Clean work area and ensure that any debris or hazardous material is cleared away
• Measure work area and calculate how many bricks will be needed for the first row
• Ensure that there is enough material available to put in layers of bricks
• Make sure that sufficient bricks are available at all times and order more bricks for subsequent work days
• Mix cement using hands or mixing tools depending on the amount of cement
• Ensure that bricks are laid in a symmetrical manner and that cement is applied properly to hold them together
• Manage excess cement in order to lessen wastage
• Shape and trim bricks to make sure that they fit in properly in places such as corners
• Use a variety of power and hand tools such as hammers and trowels
• Use pointing tools to apply finishing touches
• Determine if bricks need to be laid in vertical or horizontal manner
• Weld metal parts and apply plaster on walls as instructed in the work order
• Study plans of the building before starting on a bricklaying project
• Lay out patterns and foundations according to the instructions on work orders
• Polish new surfaces using a variety of materials and tools
• Make list of needed materials and tools for the next work day and ensure that stock inventory is sufficient