Call them janitors or custodians, they make an important part of offices, schools and apartment buildings and commercial buildings. If you see any of these clean and maintained properly, you have the team of janitors to thank. Typically, janitors perform a whole lot of cleaning and sanitizing services, including sweeping, mopping and vacuuming carpets. They take out the trash and handle some grounds maintenance work as well.
In some instances, such as while working in a residential building, janitors may need to work on a rotating shift which is why it is important for them to have flexible schedules. Additionally, they need to be polite (as they work around residents or customers) and ensure that all safety precautions are taken while they are working.
To qualify working as a janitor, you have to possess a high school diploma at the very least. The ability to read information on labels is important as janitors often have to work with chemicals that can be hazardous. Janitors also have to be exceptionally dexterous physically so that they can perform physically challenging work.
If this is the job that you are interested in, you might want to look at the following list of duties particular to a janitor’s work:
• Sweep and mop rooms, corridors and waiting areas and clean and disinfect surfaces such as floors and counters
• Empty trash receptacles and ensure that they are cleaned properly from the inside
• Dust and polish furniture and make sure that all carpets and curtains are vacuumed or shampooed on a periodic basis
• Make minor adjustments and repairs such as changing bulbs or repairing wires
• Wash bathrooms and ensure that they are disinfected on a periodic basis
• Clean windows, glass partitions and mirrors by using soapy water and sponges
• Restore building interiors using commercial cleaning equipment
• Move heavy furniture around to ensure that hard to reach placed are properly cleaned
• Take stock of cleaning and sanitizing supplies and manage correlating inventory
• Monitor building security and perform lockdown procedures
• Report any signs of vandalism or break-in and assist in investigating security issues
• Mow and trim lawns and assist in shaping shrubs using gardening tools
• Clean parking areas and walkways and remove any hazardous materials and debris
• Remove snow from sidewalks and paring areas and erect warning signs to alert drivers of slippery surfaces
• Set up and remove decorations and scaffolding to prepare facilities for events such as meetings and banquets