Caregiver is a broad term given to professionals who provide personal and emotional support to people who cannot look after themselves. Caregivers work with children and adults depending on their individual work setting. The term “caregiver” is mostly used for people who provide non-medical services to the elderly or children even though a caregiver might work in any setting.
The work of a caregiver is challenging to say the least. Apart from the physical work such as that of carrying or lifting their wards, it is the emotional part that challenges one’s skills. Working with the elderly is difficult as they need a lot of emotional support especially in cases of people who have diseases such as Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s. Caregivers need to be able to practice tact and work patiently with their wards – it is not easy having to repeat one instruction many times before your ward understands it but then that is what a caregiver does!
Often, caregivers are required to live-in with the person they are providing care to – many caregivers also work on shift basis. Caregivers who live in with their wards are often required to perform housekeeping jobs such as dusting, washing, ironing and cooking. A major part of their work involves preparing meals in accordance to doctors’ instructions which is why it is important for them to be able to understand nutritional needs of the elderly.
The job description for the position of a caregiver is the most important part/section of a resume. The following job description is specially designed for those writing resume for caregiver job.
Duties for an Elderly Caregiver Resume
• Assist clients in addressing everyday personal needs such as toileting, bathing and grooming
• Perform light housekeeping activities such as cleaning, dusting and vacuuming
• Make beds on a daily basis and change linen as often as required
• Engage clients in physical and mental exercises prescribed by their doctors
• Escort on appointments with hair dressers and physical therapists
• Provide companionship on a daily basis by lending an ear or a shoulder to lean on
• Engage wards in outdoor activities such as walking and light sports
• Prepare food or oversee the preparation of food to ensure that hygiene standards are met and that doctors’ orders are being followed
• Manage laundry and ironing activities
• Run errands including grocery shopping, bills payment and mail handling
• Maintain a safe and clean environment and ensure that garbage is taken out on a daily basis
• Arrange medicines to be taken on schedule by providing appropriate reminders or administering medication only upon doctor’s orders
• Observe elderly for signs of deterioration or concern and report them to the family or doctor on an immediate basis
• Maintain record of ward’s activities, behavior and symptoms for reference purposes
Job Duties for a Child Caregiver Resume
• Oversee and care for children at employer’s residence and might live at employer’s home
• Bathe, dress and feed infants and children
• Arrange formulas and change diapers for infants
• Plan, prepare and serve meals to clients
• Clean and sanitize the children’s room and/or house
• Take children to and from school and appointments
• Maintain healthy and hygienic environment in the home
• Organize and take part in children activities; games, crafts, reading and outings to ammuse and exercise
• Observe children behavior and make reports for caregiving, home care or babysitting agency
• Keep records of everyday activities and health information regarding each child
• Teach children in special hygiene and social development
• Participate in emotional well-being of children
• Discipline children in keeping with the methods requested by the parents