Barista is an Italian word for bartender. In the United States, baristas are specialists who work in coffee shops to make and deliver coffee to guests. With the boom in coffee shop business across the country, baristas are gaining popularity and many employers are now seeking seasoned people to handle coffee making in their establishments.
To work as a barista, you do not need formal education although a high school diploma is preferred by many employers. In coffee shops, baristas may be the first people you meet when you enter in the establishment. They will ask you what your coffee preferences are and then make your coffee, cappuccino, espresso or latte the way you have specified. It may seem that making coffee is no big deal but in actuality, good coffee is difficult to make and only the very experienced can make coffee that is sure to be kind to your taste buds.
Since coffee is extremely popular in the United States, it is important to make it the right way which is why there is a lot of expectation of baristas. But baristas do not only make coffee; let us see the several other duties that they perform in a coffee shop setting. These sample statements will help employers to advertise a job and assist candidates in making an effective resume for barista position.
• Greet customers as they arrive, ask for their coffee preferences and take orders
• Interview customers to determine just how they prefer their coffee i.e. light or strong
• Initiate and indulge in dialogue with customers as part of customer services
• Provide limited information to customers on how the coffee is prepared
• Prepare coffee in front of the customers and take any input in a positive manner
• Serve hot coffee quickly and efficiently
• Provide customers information about deals and new food and beverage items
• Replace coffee that may have been served cold or is not liked by customers
• Describe menu items to customers in a bid to increase sales
• Provide customers with coffee blend information during the coffee making process
• Take orders for muffins, biscotti or bagels
• Receive payment in exchange of coffee sold
• Process cash and credit card payments through the POS
• Ensure the cleanliness and sanitation of the work area
• Make sure that coffee mugs and plates are clean
• Prepare trays with coffee mugs and side orders
• Ensure that the coffeemaker is in perfect working condition at all times
• Perform preventative and general maintenance on coffee machines on a regular basis
• Make sure that all coffee blends are available at all times
• Dispense coffee beans in jars and display them near the counter