Personal Support Workers provide continuing or temporary home support services to individuals and families for the duration of incapacitation, period of recovery or family trouble. They are usually employed by government organizations, non-profit and home care agencies, or they might work independently. They also provide elderly clients with support and individual care in residential settings.
Alternate Job Titles
• Visiting Homemaker
• Personal Care Attendant
• Respite Worker
• Foster Parent
• Home Support Worker
• Personal Aide
If you are looking for a rewarding and satisfying job as a personal support worker you need to know about writing a good resume for this job along with an effective cover letter for personal support worker.
Resume specialists have devised a rough guideline for the weight-age an ideal resume must give to each section. A PSW resume must ideally be based on your performance and personality traits. This means that for your resume, you need longer accomplishments and professional summary section since these are the main sections that highlight your performance potential.
Although many candidates still start their resumes with an objective statement, it’s time to switch to a profile summary except if you are a beginner or are planning to switch careers. Career objective for a certain advertised position is usually general and same for all candidates. Why waste space by stating what the employer already knows i.e., you need the job. Instead dazzle your reader with an action word powered summary that introduces yourself as dedicated and knowledgeable professional in the field!
See also: Objectives for PSW Resume
|Mary Smith, CNA||33 Example Street ● Calgary, AB S9R 6E9|
(999) 999-9999 ● [Email Address]
❖❖ PERSONAL SUPPORT WORKER ❖❖
Poised to outperform in personal care tasks.
Professional Summary: Reliable and compassionate individual with 3+ years’ hands-on experience in providing assistance in activities of daily living. Track record of working with clients of different ages and backgrounds. Exceptional caregiving and housekeeping skills. CNA, First Aid and CPR Certified.
● Comprehensive knowledge of implementing personal support plans focusing on the individual’s comfort, needs and interests.
● Great aptitude of managing heavy workload while giving the highest standard of care to every client.
● Proven record of maintaining and representing an optimistic approach towards clients, their families, coworkers and visitors.
KEY SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Prompt, consistent and able to make and use own plan
• Excellent attention to detail
• Experience of dealing with exigent behaviors
• Caring and sympathetic approach
• Flexible in every day work and routines
• Possess valid driver’s license, reliable transport and ability to travel excessively
• Possess a valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle
• Experience working with people with learning disability or require extra support
Calgary Residential Care Home – Calgary, AB
Personal Support Worker | May 2010 – Present
• Ensure that clients receive the service and benefits they are entitled to
• Perform essential paper work
• Teach life skills, way safety, use of community transport and cooking
• Take clients to shopping, trips, communal events, appointments and places of worship
• Prepare nutritious meals for clients
• Ensure the security and safety of the home
• Assist with cash management such as household bills
• Correspond with key agencies and personal service providers in the local society
• Wash, bath, bed bath and assist in shower for patients
• Oversee medicines to clients
Diploma ● Calgary City School, Calgary, AB, 2005
REFERENCES: Available on request
506 Green Villas | Springfield, TN 80016 | (007) 333-6666 | marcus @ email . com
PERSONAL CARE EXPERT
Record of repeated achievements in providing assistance in activities of daily living.
Offering 6+ years’ experience in personal care capacities. Highly-organized individual with a track record of providing bedside care to clients and performing diverse housekeeping tasks. Well-versed in dealing tactfully and courteously with residents while strictly adhering to the prescribed personal support plan and applicable procedures and guidelines. Expert in monitoring the client’s health condition closely. Current driver’s license. CPR Certified.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|– Daily Living Assistance||– Meal Preparation||– Eating Assistance|
|– Personal Grooming||– Companionship||– Sanitation|
|– Ambulation/Mobilization||– Confidentiality Maintenance||– Palliative Care|
• Built rapport with a chronically depressed senior enabling her to resume daily life functioning within a month of care provision
• Resolved an eating habits issue with a client who refused to eat anything in the beginning
• Conceived and initiated a number of online and live community based social activities for seniors
• Earned the most dedicated PSW award in 2013
Personal Support Worker | AAA Care, Springfield, TN 2012 – Present
• Maintain a clean environment and living space for the clients
• Provide daily living assistance
• Monitor client’s condition and indicate if any unusual change is seen
• Assist in cooking meals and render services as per instructions
Caregiver | Home Instead, Springfield, TN 2007 – 2011
• Provided non medical personal care and bedside assistance to seniors enabling them to live at their homes
• Assisted clients in feeding, changing and providing assistance in walking
• Performed all kinds of housekeeping tasks
CITY COLLEGE OF SOCIAL SCIENCES, Springfield, TN, 2007
Associate of Arts in Social Work