A special education assistant helps lead teacher in classroom by tutoring, monitoring and supervising students, and provides secretarial assistance. They acts as a communication source between teachers, students and parents. They works in a number of settings such as childcare and community centers, elementary, middle and secondary schools.
In accordance with Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of special education teaching assistants will increase 12 percent by 2021.
Special Education Assistant Resume Tips
● In your resume for special education assistant position – while you have less or no experience in hand – provide sufficient proof that you can communicate effectively with special needs students.
● Start your resume with a compelling objective statement or performance profile.
● Directly below this section write your summary of qualifications or core competencies. Mention 3-5 of your greatest skills in bullet form.
●Mention any relevant experience and your educational background.
25 Example Avenue | Elk River, MN 52654 | (000) 659-9896 | mary @ email . com
Objective: Seeking a position as a Special Education Assistant with St Louis Public School. Eager to work one-on-one with disabled students in different activities, followed by creation of tailored physical education lesson plans.
• Over 6 months experience working with special children
• Highly skilled in perceiving the needs of children and managing their activities
• Proven record of assisting lead teacher in imparting instructions, helping students, and correcting tests
• Demonstrated ability work effectively with minimum supervision
• Able to transfer or restrain students physically
• Comprehensive knowledge of maintaining exact and timely records to support individual educational plans
• Substantial knowledge of sign languages (SEE, PSE, and ASL)
ABC AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT, Elk River, MN | 5/2015 to 12/2015
Special Education Assistant
• Tutored special needs students and assisted them in behavior management
• Monitored students in normal classes and facilitated communication between the special education teacher and mainstream teachers
• Maintained privacy of family and program information
• Provided First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) when needed
• Reinforced language concept and skills already taught by teacher
• Facilitated contact between teachers and students through the use of sign language
• Performed general clerical and record keeping duties
• Supervised special education students in area outside the classroom
• Attended meetings with parents
Education & Certification
Elk Community College, Elk River, MN | 2014
Associate of Arts in Education
Concentration: Special Education
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) – 2013
Additional Skills and Knowledge
• Office machines handling
• School district policies and state and federal laws
• MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Willing to work overtime including evenings, weekends and holidays