A successful resume for an Administrative Assistant position needs to sell you over the competitors. It should be written in a way to create a curiosity for the hiring manager to call or email you immediately to arrange an interview. Otherwise, the substitute is the reader skims the resume, thinks, “Yeah, this person might be a good fit, but” and then moves on the next resume, throwing your resume in the trash.
The first thing to grab the attention of recruiter is your career objective. If it is targeted and well-crafted, the reader would definitely like to read the rest of your resume. If your objective is weak or generic, the rest of the resume cannot make up for it.
Do you need an objective statement?
There are many schools of thought in favor and others are against using an objective statement. In our opinion, it is a good idea to use an objective statement to describe your career goals and aspirations in the very first sentence of your resume. An Administrative Assistant’s Resume Profile or Career Summary is a good alternative, but it will not tell the reader about your enthusiasm to work for them.
Administrative Assistant Objective Writing Tips
➜ Start your objective with powerful words such as enthusiastic, reliable, results-driven.
➜ Make your goal or objective statement as specific as possible. Say accurately what you want to achieve in clear short words.
➜ Use simple language to describe your enthusiasm to work for a specific company
➜ Make an action-oriented objective: Write your career objective in an active rather than passive voice.
➜ Focus on your 2-3 key skills and tell them how you would contribute to their mission utilizing your skills.
➜ Do not use “I”, “my” or “me” in your objective
What will a resume objective consist of Administrative Assistant position? In order to answer this question, it is important to firstly figure out what skills are needed to be able to perform the daily tasks of an administrative assistant. Mention at least two relevant skills in order to get the best results. Here are a few examples that may assist you in understanding this.
Sample Objectives for an Administrative Assistant Resume
● Effective and results-driven individual seeking an Administrative Assistant position with the George Mason University utilizing exceptional secretarial skills and highly organized and process oriented approach to improve the overall efficiency of institution.
● Self directed, resourceful and passionate administrative professional looking for a position as an Administrative Assistant with the Union Hospital of Cecil County. Bringing strong organizational and communication skills to provide successful support to the office.
● Dynamic, caring and dedicated professional desiring an Administrative Assistant position with Dane Foods using office management, administrative support and problem solving skills to support executives and build a loyal client base.
● To obtain a position of Administrative Assistant with ABC Company using a positive attitude, great attention to detail and accuracy, and a desire to succeed in a fast-paced environment to make a difference in the office administrative procedures.
● A part-time position of Administrative Assistant with Northern Virginia Community College. Offering exceptional clerical abilities, strong attention to detail, and great proficiency in MS Office Suite.
● Seeking an Admin Assistant position making the most of extensive office management, communication, record-keeping and accounting skills to benefit the organization.