Administrative Assistant Job Overview
Administrative assistants work in a variety of settings and responsible for performing almost the similar tasks in any organization they work for. They are expected to provide support in terms of administrative and clerical work so that the operations of an office run in a smooth fashion.
People applying for this position need to first understand what this position entails. Since there is no formal training for this position, it is up to the candidate to ensure that s/he knows what employer is expecting – although employers prefer people who have degree in business or related field.
The job responsibilities of an administrative assistant contains a wide array of duties. They are expected to manage correspondence, maintain office files, handle mail, take minutes of the meeting and coordinate repairs. They may also be expected to maintain records and perform research work as required.
Administrative assistants need to be skilled in the area that they are working in. They are usually considered to be Jacks-of-all-trades and are expected to multitask because the need to juggle several tasks at the same time is eminent. Additionally, they are required to possess excellent communication skills and exceptional telephone etiquette.
Significance of Profile / Summary Section of Administrative Assistant’s Resume
The first few lines of your Administrative Assistant resume count. Similar to an advertisement, your resume needs to catch the interest of the reader in the first few seconds. Resumes are usually skimmed and the hiring managers spend approximately 10-20 seconds deciding whether your resume goes into the ‘Accept’ or ‘Reject’ pile.
A profile or summary statement is the opening of your resume and has a different focus. Instead of an objective statement, a profile or summary clearly mentions, “What I offer you.” It usually detail three to four major skills and qualifications that one has to offer the employer.
• Top-performing administrative professional with 7-year track record in customer service, record keeping and general office management. Well-versed in oral and written communication, multitasking and perseverance to task completion. Proficient in executive support; taking minutes, handling appointments and messages and writing correspondence. Strong background in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Bilingual: English/Spanish.
• Proactive, highly skilled administration professional with three years’ hands-on experience in diverse office environments. Knowledgeable in current industry trends and technology. Experienced communicator and team player. Documented success in using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and QuickBooks.
• An enthusiastic self-starter with strong secretarial and communications skills. Proven academic and professional achiever, possess unique clerical and computer skills required to assist the executives and organization to achieve its mission.
• Experienced and results-oriented Administrative Assistant with proven abilities in developing positive relationships with clients and coworkers. Interested in a similar opportunity with company where exceptional secretarial, computer and customer service skills will be fully utilized.
• Highly-motivated, and energetic Administrative Assistant who strives to ensure that all tasks are successfully accomplished within time. Demonstrated ability to:
- Manage stocks and inventory
– Order supplies
– Facilitate event registration
– Maintain accounting files
– Update mailing lists
– Support other departments
– Provide excellent customer services