An individual applying for an accounting position at several places should write a different cover letter for each company.
How do you make sure that your cover letter is exceptionally written? There are no rules to writing the perfect cover letter however, you might want to follow some good formats. Citing examples from the most relevant of your experiences in your cover letter is a great way of convincing a potential employer that you are a perfect match to their requirements. Identify the person who will be interviewing you and see if you can send your application to him or her. Be courteous when you word your letter and do not boast too much – you might put off the hiring manager if you come across as too strong.
Accountant Cover Letter Guidelines
● Briefly state the reason why you are writing the letter. Mention the accountant position and how you found out about the opening by directly referring to the source.
● Explain briefly why ‘you’ are the ideal candidate for being an accountant in a prospective firm.
● Highlight relevant achievements, skills and experience. Give examples wherever possible.
● Keep in mind that the employer will not waste time reading a long letter. Therefore, only mention your most relevant qualifications that will prove you as an above-average applicant.
● Keep the details safe for your interview.
Refer to the sample below to get a better idea.
April 13, 2015
Ms. Patricia Gomez
Manager Human Resources
72 Cooper Way
Letart, WV 77666
Dear Ms. Patricia:
Your job description for an Accountant at Leidos perfectly complements with my professional accounting skills and 15 years of experience in handling large conglomerates’ accounting systems.
My qualifications include:
• Accounting education: My master’s degree in accounting from West Virginia State University and the Accounts Plus courses that I completed are sufficient to handle even the most complex of accounting tasks.
• CPA. Current CPA designation: Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
• 15 years of experience in corporate and not for profit organizations
• Technology savvy with deep knowledge of using popular accounting software to ensure error-free accounting systems
With many years of handling the accounting needs of large concerns and deep knowledge of tax returns, maintenance of financial records, best practices recommendations and auditing knowhow, I believe I am a perfect fit for your organization.
Offering this and more, I would like to meet with you to discuss the possibility of being part of your organization soon. I will call you on Friday to set a meeting date and time and can be contacted at (444) 444-4444.
Thank you very much for your consideration. I look forward to meeting with you soon.
305 Fifth St.
Garland, TX 75040
April 13, 2015
Mr. Mike Cantrell
509 Elm Street
Dallas, TX 75202
Dear Mr. Cantrell:
Referring to your job ad posted in the “Daily Times” yesterday, I am writing to apply for the position of accountant at OmniVision Technologies. My educational background in accounting, hands-on experience, refined accounting skills and abilities makes me an excellent candidate for this position.
During my work at Dallas County as a staff accountant for six years, I gained expertise in maintaining accounting books and records, processing payments and monthly payrolls as well as preparation of flawless accrual and journal entries. Moreover, I am proficient in carrying out ratio analysis not only as a work procedure but it has also been a repetitive practice during my undergrad accounting projects.
I enjoy working in team as well as individually. Flexibility, adaptability, honesty and staunch belief in workplace ethics are the qualities that distinguish me from others. Moreover, I can also benefit your firm with my strong analytical and organizing capabilities.
My accounting and written communication skills are evident from the enclosed resume. It will be an honor for me to work for your prestigious company utilizing my extensive accounting background. I’d welcome a chance to discuss my relevant qualifications and experience in an interview. I’ll call your office after two weeks to set a time of meeting. If you require any other information, you can contact me at (000) 400-7030.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.