Resumes for accountant position are not complete if they do boast of the accomplishments section. What exactly does an accomplishments section show off? Accomplishments, of course! But to make it clearer, let us go into a little detail. Accomplishments are anything that an individual does which has had a positive high impact on the company. For instance, a sales manager’s accomplishment will be a certain percentage of increase in sales. And a customer service representative’s accomplishment will be a high level of customer satisfaction or retained business.
Every individual’s accomplishments are directly in sync with what they do as a profession. And it is this parity that we have to focus on when filling out the accomplishments section on our resumes. Be careful – the accomplishments section can be tricky to write. Many of us think of everyday duties as accomplishments. Duties are not accomplishments.
A duty is anything that we do on a daily basis, as part of our job description.
An accomplishment is something that we achieve to benefit the company while we are attempting our daily duties.
Understanding this difference is what is going to get you to write this section properly. When you write an accomplishment, think of numbers, dollar signs and percentages. If an employer knows that you increased sales by 60% for instance, he will be able to gauge how well you have done. Got it? Good! Let us get to some examples now – examples of accomplishments statements that an accountant can put on his resume:
• Revamped the accounting system, which ended up in increased efficiency in handling accounting controls
• Reduced paperwork 90% by converting all accounting procedures to an electronic form
• Increased accounting department’s efficiency by 50% through rigorous training of accounting staff
• Stayed within budget for petty cash disbursement for 5 years
• Directed a team of 58 accounting professionals from offshore offices for an intense training program
• Cut overhead costs $70000 by comparing electricity costs from two departments (one using alternative energy resources) and suggesting use of alternative energy for all departments across the organization
• Reconciled a complex financial statement within 5 hours, which had been stuck in limbo for 6 months
• Introduced the concept of digital distribution agreements which decreased processing time by 80%
• Designed a complex online accounting system which increased efficiency by 50% owing to easy access from all off-state offices
• Implemented corrective measures for ensuring that minor accounting discrepancies do not transpire