The primary task of a host or hostess in any kind of setting is to create a welcoming and warm surroundings for guests as they enter the premise such as restaurant or bar. S/he is responsible for greeting patrons and guests, seating them at a suitable table as well as supporting the food servers and bus attendants along with any additional duties as assigned by a the managers.
‘Summary of Qualifications’ or ‘Skills and Abilities’ section of a Hostess Resume is the most important part because it will show your core competencies or qualifications which employer is seeking. This section might also be called as strengths (for candidates having no experience) or capabilities.
Following is a list of possible qualifications and skills for hostess that you might consider adding to your resume. You may have additional hospitality skills that are not incorporated in this list. But you can use them as per job description given in advertisement.
Sample Hostess Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
• Highly skilled in greeting guests, escorting them to tables, and providing them with menu and daily specials
• Demonstrated ability to anticipate and address guests’ service needs and thank guests with genuine pleasure
• Substantial knowledge of the menus of bars, restaurant, and room service
• In-depth knowledge of answering telephones in a suitable manner
• Hands-on experience in assigning work tasks and organize activities of dining room workers to make sure timely and polite service to patrons
• Proven record of inspecting dining room serving stations for tidiness and sanitation
• Able to ensure that special requests are lodged and passed to restaurant staff
• Proven ability to adjusts complaints of patrons and guests
• Thorough understanding to make sure that all menu folders and inserts are spotless and current
• Comprehensive knowledge to make sure that all guest supplies are filled
• Knowledge to maintain inventory of menus and inserts
• Proven ability to obtain reservations as required ensuring correctness
• Communication: Able to speak with others using clear and professional language
• Bilingual: English and Portuguese
• Computer: MS Word and MS Excel